After the demonetization, digital payments became so much popular, and everyone is using digital payment platforms to make transactions. The Govt of India introduced Unified Payment Interface (UPI) to make it easier and simpler for people to instantly transfer money from their bank account without any additional charges. UPI PIN makes the whole system secure and protects users from fraud and prevents unauthorized access. So, it’s very important to know how to create, change or reset your UPI PIN to keep your hard earned money safe. For any UPI app such as BHIM, Google Pay, PhonePe, etc., creating, changing and resetting the UPI PIN is easy, and in this article, you will know it.
What is UPI PIN?
The full form of UPI is Unified Payment Interface, and PIN stands for Personal Identification Number. So, basically, UPI PIN is made to protect your UPI account, and it is a 4 to 6 digit secret code which can be created or set at the time of signing up for your UPI account. UPI PIN is crucial to make any bank transaction, check balance or to execute any other activities related to a UPI account.
List of UPI Apps
UPI is an interface, and currently, there are many digital payments apps available who supports UPI. These apps are called UPI apps. Indian Government itself has launched a UPI app called BHIM app (Bharat Interface for Money). Below, you can see the list of UPI apps you can use:
- BHIM App (Issued by the Indian Govt.)
- Google Pay (Tez)
- Airtel Payments Bank
- SBI Pay
- Axis Pay
- BOB UPI
Users can create their UPI account using any of these UPI apps. But once the UPI account is created and the UPI PIN is set, users can use any UPI app to access their UPI account and make transactions by entering the same UPI PIN.
Where Can I Generate UPI PIN?
UPI PIN can be generated at the time of creating the UPI account using any UPI app. When you link your bank account with the UPI account, UPI apps will ask you for a 4-6 digit secret code. There you need to generate the PIN which you can use to access your UPI account later from any UPI app.
How to Set Or Create UPI PIN?
Here you will see how you can set or create UPI PIN for your account on BHIM app. If you are using any other UPI app, the process will be almost similar. And PIN can be created at the time of creating your UPI account using any UPI app. So, apart from creating PIN, these steps also shows how you can create your UPI account. If you already have your UPI account, you need to either reset or change the PIN which is described next to this section.
- First of all, install and open the BHIM app.
- Choose your preferred language.
- Select the SIM that is linked with your bank account.
- Now it will automatically send an SMS from your mobile number, and SMS charges may apply.
- Once your number is verified, you will proceed to the next screen.
- There you will need to set a 4 digit passcode which is needed every time to access the BHIM app in future.
- Then click on the “Add Bank Account” option.
- Select your bank account from the list.
- Just enter the last 6 digits of your Debit card and the validity of the card.
- Finally, here you create the UPI PIN
How to Reset Forgotten UPI PIN?
You may forget your UPI PIN. Then you need to reset the PIN. Below you can see the steps to do that:
- Open the BHIM app.
- Enter 4 digit code to access the app.
- Go to Bank Accounts section.
- Click on Reset UPI PIN option.
- Enter the last 6 digits of your debit card and validity.
- Verify the OTP.
- Finally, set the new PIN.
These steps are similar for other UPI apps too.
How to Change UPI PIN?
If you think, your PIN is leaked, or somebody else has seen it, or for any other reasons, you can easily change it by following the steps given below:
- Access the BHIM app and go to the Bank Accounts section.
- Tap on Change UPI PIN option.
- Enter the existing PIN.
- Enter the new PIN you want to set.
- That’s it. You are done!
How To Change Or Reset UPI PIN Using USSD Code?
- Dial *99# from your number linked to your bank account.
- Type “7” and send.
- Then select Set/Forgot PIN (Type 1) or Change PIN (Type 2) option.
- Type the last 6 digits of your debit card in the given format.
Enter the valid date of the card, and finally, you can set, change or reset your PIN.
What if My UPI PIN Blocked?
Well, this is for security purpose. If anyone tries to access your UPI account by guessing the UPI PIN, after 3 wrong attempts, your PIN will get locked. Now you have two options to solve this problem. If someone else was trying to access your account, simply reset the PIN. Or if you entered the wrong PIN for 3 times by mistake, you have to wait for 24 hours. After that, your PIN will get unlocked automatically, and you can use the same PIN to access your account.
Useful Read: What is UPI 2.0? Know Its Features
Hope this article gave you a brief idea about how to set, create, generate, change or reset UPI PIN. If you still have any question regarding this matter, you can comment down below. We will try to respond you as soon as we can.